Processing Borrowing Requests in Illiad
- Open your Awaiting Request Processing folder.
- Select a request to be processed.
- Review the request information to determine what information is present.
- Loans: look for Title / Author / ISBN / OCLC #
- Articles: look for Journal Title / Article Title / Article Author / Volume / Issue # / Year / Page #s
- If Journal Title is abbreviated use Google online*, the Journal Abbreviation Sources link from the ILS
Home Page, or the Periodical Title Abbreviations book on our reference shelf to
determine the full title.
- Finding a corresponding ISSN would also be adequate to authenticate the journal title.
- Search Journal / Loan Title in the OSU catalog
- Verify that OSU does not hold the title. For Journals, verify that OSU does not own the specified
- See **IF OSU OWNS THE MATERIAL (below)
- Open an OCLC Live link by clicking on the OCLC button at the top right side of the General Request Form.
- Search for the material on OCLC using the provided search strings or create your own search string in the text
box at the top of the screen (OCLC# & ISSN/ISBN searches work best)
- Find an item on OCLC that exactly matches your request. Select that number in the text box. Press Enter on
the keyboard or click Send.
- The individual record will appear showing item information including the number of holdings. The record will
also tell you whether OSU holds the material or not.
- Click the Holdings tab at the top of the OCLC ILL Interface Form. Drag down to (or type into the text box)
- DHU is a list of all holdings sorted into groups and ranked by our affiliation with the school.
- DHC creates a preferred lender string based on our affiliation with the school. DHC is ok for books
but does not work well with journals because it does not take into consideration volume/year
- DHA is an unsorted list of all schools that hold the material.
- From the sorted DHU list select up to 5 lenders and enter them into a lender string in the text box beginning
- Example: [ wf kku,iyu,ldl,muu,uby ]
- Click Send or type Enter
- The screen should automatically switch from the OCLC Searching tab to the Work Form Editing
tab. In the Patron field place your cursor after the persons name, click the
space-bar, and type in the Transaction Number plus your initials.
- Click the Save icon at the top of the screen.
- Click the Produce or Replace Record icon at the top of the screen (next to the Save icon).
This will close the OCLC interface and return you to the General Request form.
- Click Request Sent at the top right side of the General Request Form. This will close the
screen and return you to the Awaiting Request Processing folder.
- Select a new request and repeat the procedure.
**IF OSU OWNS THE MATERIAL:
The request is called an A1 and cannot be requested through Interlibrary Loan. At this point we will have a student
search the shelves and verify that the material is there. Upon verification, we will contact the patron and let
them know the material is available at OSU.
From the General Request Screen:
***If the request is available electronically:
- Type in the Call Number and Location from the OSU catalog into the appropriate fields on the right side of the
General Request Form.
- Click the Save Changes tab on the top left side of the screen.
- Click on the Process tab at the top right side of the screen. Drag down to Print then drag down to
Empty Queue and Print Request to Template for your first A1 request. For all subsequent A1
requests drag down to Print Another Request to Template (Append)
- Click the Route tab on the top left side of the screen.
- Drag down to A1.
- After all requests have been processed open the PrintA1.doc document.
- Click on the Merge to Printer icon. A print dialogue box will open. Click
- After the document has printed, close the document and DO NOT save changes.
- Highlight call numbers on the A1 document and place in the A1 search box on Johnnys desk.
- The students will now search the requests and note our holdings with the code OS for on
shelf and NOS for not on shelf. When they finish they will return the search requests
to the bottom tray on Johnnys desk.
- Open the A1 folder and select a record that has been searched by a student.
- If the record is listed as NOS click the Route tab and drag down to your
Awaiting Request Processing folder.
- If the record is listed as OS click the Cancel Request tab.
- Select the appropriate reason Available from OSU Library and enter the call number and
location of the item.
- Click the Cancel Request button. This will generate an automatic email informing the patron
of the status of the material.
- OSU owns many subscriptions to electronic journals and many requests are available through this medium in PDF
format. If, after searching the catalog, you find an electronic holding for an item:
- Click the Cancel Request tab.
- Select the Available Electronically reason.
- Complete the cancellation form.
ILS Home Page |
Library Home Page |
OSU Home Page
Last Update: March 24, 2004
Comments to: email@example.com
This page created by Jon Hall, Holly Lincoln and Johnny L. Johnson