W. D. "Jim" Finney
Former Member, Board of Regents, Oklahoma State University
This highest honorary award that is conferred by the University is named for one of its former presidents who, during the period 1928-1951, made outstanding contributions to the University, to higher education, and to the benefit of mankind as the first Director of America's Point Four Program of providing technical assistance to nations around the world.
Mr. Finney received his bachelor's degree in animal science from Oklahoma State University and his master's degree in animal nutrition from Iowa State University. Following his service as County Extension Agent of Woods County, Oklahoma, he settled in Fort Cobb and served as a cashier and president of the Washita Valley Bank from 1933 until 1966. Currently he is in partnership with his son in ranching operations, and is the owner of an insurance agency. In 1944, he was District Governor of Rotary International. From 1947 to the present, he has served as an associate member of the Board of Directors of South Caddo Soil Conservation District; during 1950- 51, he was president of the Oklahoma Bankers Association; from 1965-73, he was a member of the Board of Regents for Oklahoma State University and the A. and M. Colleges, serving as chairman for one year; and since 1963 he has been a member of the Advisory Board to the State Fair of Oklahoma. He has been inducted into the Oklahoma Hall of Fame, and has received the Higher Education Alumni Award.
Year of Award: 1976