Dr. Robert B. Kamm
Former President and Professor Emeritus, Oklahoma State University
Dr. Robert B. Kamm
Dr. Kamm began his career as a high school teacher in 1940 in his native state of Iowa. After World War II service in the Navy, he held administrative positions at Drake and Texas A & M universities. He came to Oklahoma State University as dean of the College of Arts and Sciences in 1958. He was promoted to vice president for academic affairs in 1965 and served as OSU's president from July 1, 1966, to January 31, 1977.
As president, he guided the university on a steady course during a period of expansion, coupled with turmoil and challenges that faced campuses in the 1960s and early 1970s.
His international achievements were recognized in 1976 when he was appointed with the rank of ambassador as a member of the executive board of the United States Education, Scientific and Cultural Organization and as chairman of the U.S. delegation to the 19th general conference of UNESCO in Nairobi, Kenya.
He also served as chairman of the board of World Neighbors Incorporated and as a member of the U.S. Commission for Observance of the 25th Anniversary of the United Nations.
In national areas, he served as chairman of the Council of Presidents for the National Association of State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges and president of the American College Personnel Association.
In 1984 he served as a member of the Governor's Commission on the Reform of State Government. At the local level, he has been active in church, civic, and community activities.
He has been a member of the Educational Administration and Higher Education faculty since 1977, and has written several books which have become texts in the field. Since 1982, he has directed the OSU Centennial Histories Project.
Throughout his career, Dr. Kamm has maintained a warm, friendly, and people-oriented attitude which has had a great influence on people both within and outside higher education. His achievements, hard work, and dedication will always be a source of pride for Oklahoma State University.
Year of Award: 1988