Materials may be borrowed by individuals who present a valid OSU I.D. or a library courtesy card with matching photo I.D.
(Note: These periods differ from those of the Main Library)
- Undergraduate students: 2 weeks
- Graduate students: 30 days
- Faculty: 1 semester
- Courtesy Card Holders: 2 weeks
Reserve Collection: Loan periods vary depending on type of materials and request of faculty placing items on reserve:
- 2-hour, restricted to library use only
- 2-hour, overnight, if charged out within the last 2 hours before closing
- 1-day, 3-day, or 7-day
Library books may be renewed, providing they are not recalled, "lost", or reserve items.
Material Check Out Limits
- Undergraduate students: 50 items
- Graduate students: 100 items
- Faculty: 150 items
Material should be returned to the CML in 001 Willard Hall. In case of emergency or if Willard Hall is locked, material may be returned to the Edmon Low Library.
Courtesy Card Holders
Courtesy borrowing privileges are blocked if material is not returned within 30 days of the due date or if other charges remain unpaid. See the OSU Library's Courtesy Card web page for more information.
Fines & Billing Policies
- Fines are 25 cents per day for each overdue item, plus an additional $5 per day for each overdue, recalled item.
- Reserve: $3 per hour for items that have 2-hour loans, and $5 per day for items that have longer loan periods.
- Special permission items: 60 cents per hour for items with 2-hour loan periods and $1 a day for longer check outs.
- Unreturned materials:
- If an item becomes 60 days overdue, you are billed for the replacement of each item, plus a $20 non-refundable processing fee per item.
- Recalled, reserved, and special permission materials: If one of these items become 30 days overdue, you are billed for the replacement of the item(s), plus a $20 non-refundable processing fee.
- Replacement cost of a reserve test file is $20, plus a $20 non-refundable processing fee.
- Replacement cost of a reserve photocopy is $10, plus a $20 non-refundable fee.
Note: When a lost item(s) is returned after billing, you are credited only for the replacement cost of the item(s). The processing fee is non-refundable. All library users are charged for lost or damaged books checked out on their IDs.
Recalled materials are those that have been requested by another library user. Materials may be recalled after 14 days. Material needed for reserve or reference may be recalled at any time.
Circulation privileges are suspended when material is not returned by the recall due date. Fines for materials not returned by the recall due date are $5 per day.
Overdue fines: are not charged to OSU faculty members, except for overdue recalled, reserve, and special permission materials.
Unreturned materials: When material is returned after billing, you are credited only for the replacement cost of the item(s). The processing fee is non-refundable.