Resources for Author Studies, Books, and Reading
Web Resources for Authors and Illustrators
- Children's Literature Web Guide: Authors and Illustrators on the Web -- this website provides links to various authors of children's and young adult literature; however, the site has not been updated since 1998, so some links may not be working.
- The deGrummond Collection--Housed at University of Southern Mississippi campus, the de Grummond Children's Literature Collection is one of North America's leading research centers in the field of children's literature. Although the Collection has many strengths, the main focus is on American and British children's literature, historical and contemporary. Founded in 1966 by Dr. Lena Y. de Grummond, the Collection holds the original manuscripts and illustrations of more than 1200 authors and illustrators, as well as 100,000+ published books dating from 1530 to the present.
- Fairrosa's Cyber Library: Authors and Illustrators -- This website provides a lengthy list of resources that include children's authors, illustrators, book lists, and other unique links to children's literature (including museums that you might not have even known existed!)
- Kay Vandergrift's Learning About the Author and Illustrator Pages -- Kay Vandergrift's author and illustrator pages have become a mainstay for those studying children's literature. Based on the Rutger University campus, this resource provides much more than just information about authors---so explore the links on each page to learn how much information is embedded within this virtual online resource.
- Seussville -- Everything "Seuss" is available on this site. This fast and fun website explores the works of Dr. Seuss while having fun along the way!
Children's Literature Resources
- Children's Literature Comprehensive Database (CML Database)
- Coretta Scott King Book Award Curriculum Resource Center --Teach the Coretta Scott King Award-winning books with this free, online collection of primary source materials and lesson plans.
- International Children's Digital Library -- This online collection represents outstanding historical and contemporary books from throughout the world. Ultimately, the ICDL Foundation aspires to have every culture and language represented so that every child can know and appreciate the riches of children's literature from the world community.
- NCSS Online: Notable Children's Books 1998-2006 --- The National Council of the Social Studies provides a yearly list of Notable Children's Books dealing with various topics relating to history and social studies. These noteworthy books are often awarded literary prizes for the way that they address issues in history for students in the K-12 classroom.
Print Resources for Award-Winning BooksElementary School
- A to Zoo: Subject Access to Children's Picture Books. CML 028.52 L732a
- Best Books for Children: preschool through grade 6. CML 011.62 G478bo SuppL.
- H. W. Wilson's Children's Catalog. CML 017.6 C536.
- Elementary School Library Collections. CML 017 E38 q.
- Children's Books in Print. CML 028.52 C53631.
- Popular Series Fiction for K-6 Readers. CML 011.62 T461p
- Best Books for Middle School and Junior High Readers. CML 028.535 G478b
- Best Books for Boys: an educator's guide. CML 028.55 Z39L
- H.W. Wilson's Middle and Junior High School Library Catalog. CML 028.5 W748j
- Popular Series Fiction for Middle School and Teen Readers. CML 016.823 T461p
- Best Books for High School Readers. CML 011.62 G478bo 2002.
- Fantasy Literature for Children and Young Adults. CML 016.808 L989f
- H. W. Wilson's Senior High Core Colletion. CML 017.1 S785
- The Bookfinder. CML 028.5 D778b.
- Index to Poetry for Children and Young People. CML 808.81 B628i.