Skip Navigation
The Daily O'Collegian Archives
The Daily O'Collegian Archives

About the Daily O'Collegian Archives

The Archive has been made possible through generous donations from The O’Collegian and Friends of the OSU Library. Begun in the fall of 2011, the Archive currently contains the earliest O’Collegian issues, from 1895 to 2011, at present. New content is being added regularly, so check back often for more recent issues.

The Daily O’Collegian Archive, from 1895 to 2011 has been created from a silver microfilm master, originally produced by the Oklahoma Historical Society. A donation from the Friends of the OSU Library enabled the purchase of 144 microfilm reels that became the foundation of the Archive you view today. Due to the projected size of the Archive, and the hardware and software required for this project, the OSU Library decided to out-source the scanning, optical character reading (OCR), and article segmentation. After a rigorous vendor search, bidding process and trial phase, iArchives, of Lindon, Utah was selected as the vendor to digitize the OSU Campus newspapers. Generous financial support from The Daily O’Collegian has made this Archive possible.

The Daily O’Collegian Archive requires over 3 Tb of disk space to store the files running the collection. Each page of the Daily O’Collegian was scanned as a .tif file and is stored in a dark archive; each newspaper page presented to the viewer requires four files running in the background: jpg2000, txt, pdf, and xml. These files work together to show the reader an exact copy of the printed newspaper, with article highlighting and segmentation, which can be printed or downloaded; as well, the whole Archive can be searched by keyword(s) or date(s). The OSU Library is using CONTENTdm on a Windows server as the platform for the Archive; and the staff of Digital Library Services, under the direction of Robin Leech (Head, Digital Initiatives), is responsible for the uploading, and maintenance of this collection.