Oklahoma Library Legends
Carnegie, Andrew Foundation
Delphian Clubs and Societies
Ferguson, Milton J.
Ferguson, Mrs. Thomas B. (Eva Shartel)
Frasier, Sally Freeman
Friends of Libraries groups around Oklahoma
Friends of Libraries in Oklahoma (FOLIO)
Friends of Tulsa City-County Library
Funk, Mrs. Trimmier Sloan
Gates, Bill & Melinda Foundation
Hardesty, Roger & Donna
Henke, Esther Mae
Johnson, Edward R.
Lowry, William (Bill)
Maddox, Eugenia (Frances)
Marable, Mary Hays
Martin, Allie Beth
Masters, Anne Rounds
McGlenn, Alma Reid
Morgan, Anne Hodges
Motter, Robert T., Jr.
Motter, Robert T., Sr.
Norberg, Lillian Born
Parker, Mrs. J.C.
Phelps, Edith Allen
Phillips, John & Vicki
Porter, Cora Case
Ratliff, Julia Brady
Ray, Dee Ann
Robbins, Louise S.
Rouse, Roscoe and Charlie Lou
Segal, Bob & Pat
Thompson, Clinton M. Jr. (Marty)
Townsend, Mrs. Hosea
Troy, Forrest (Frosty)
Wentroth, Mary Ann
Women's Federated Clubs
Women's Clubs of Oklahoma
Zarrow, Henry & Anne
(Nahum Ellsworth) Butcher was enrolled by Dr. David Ross Boyd, University of Oklahoma President, as
the university’s first freshman in 1893/1894. As a sophomore, Mr. Butcher became the University’s
first librarian at a salary of $10 a month. “We had quite a little library of books, very few
of which would apply to education purposes in a university because they were given to us by ministers
over the state and other people who had books they wanted to give away. Then we had a few dollars
to spend for the books that different professors requested for use in their class work. First year,
as I remember, they allowed us $500.” Mr. Butcher later served as superintendent of Norman public
schools and president of the Oklahoma Education Association. In 1942, he retired as representative
of American Book Company. Then, due to World War II, at the age of 70, he went to work at Tinker Air
Force Base, where he was in charge of the message center for the 12,000 employees of maintenance engineering.
Mr. Butcher retired from that position at the age of 85.
Source: Sooner Magazine, v. 30 no. 5 (Jan. 1958) and v, 38, no. 1 (Sept. 1965)