Oklahoma Library Legends Banner

Edmon Low

Oklahoma Library Legends

Aaronson, Alfred

Anthony, Nancy

Bierman, Ken

Boies, Kay

Brawner, Lee

Brown, Ruth

Butcher, N.E.

Carnegie, Andrew Foundation

Clark, Bob

Clarke, Polly

Corwin, Aarone

Dale, Dorothea

Delaney, Oliver

Delphian Clubs and Societies

Dessauer, Phil

Dieterlen, Beverly

Dover, Leta

DuVall, Frances

Ellison, Sandy

Estes-Rickner, Bettie

Ferguson, Milton J.

Ferguson, Mrs. Thomas B. (Eva Shartel)

Frasier, Sally Freeman

Friends of Libraries groups around Oklahoma

Friends of Libraries in Oklahoma (FOLIO)

Friends of Tulsa City-County Library

Funk, Mrs. Trimmier Sloan

Gates, Bill & Melinda Foundation

Gorman, Edith

Hale, Kathy

Hand, Elsie

Hanway, Wayne

Hardesty, Roger & Donna

Helmerich, Peggy

Henke, Esther Mae

Hewey, Dell

Hinkle, John

Hinshaw, Marilyn

Johnson, Edward R.

Johnson, Jeanie

Keene, Jan

Kennedy, Frances

Lau, Ray

Laughlin, Mildred

Lester, June

Literary Clubs

Low, Edmon

Lowry, William (Bill)

Maddox, Eugenia (Frances)

Marable, Mary Hays

Martin, Allie Beth

Masters, Anne Rounds

McAnally, Arthur

McGlenn, Alma Reid

McVey, Susan

Miles, Ava

Miller, Gail

Miltimore, Cora

Morgan, Anne Hodges

Morris, Donna

Motter, Robert T., Jr.

Motter, Robert T., Sr.

Noble Foundation

Norberg, Lillian Born

Norvell, Donna

Parker, Mrs. J.C.

Patterson, Lotsee

Phelps, Edith Allen

Phillips, John & Vicki

Porter, Cora Case

Rader, Jesse

Ramsay, R.W.

Ratliff, Julia Brady

Ray, Dee Ann

Robbins, Louise S.

Rock, Marian

Rouse, Roscoe and Charlie Lou

Sanders, Jan

Saulmon, Sharon

Segal, Bob & Pat

Sherman, Mary

Skvarla, Donna

Spriestersbach, Barbara

Staggs, Barbara

Sturdivant, Nan

Swisher, Robert

Thomas, Della

Thompson, Clinton M. Jr. (Marty)

Tomberlin, Irma

Townsend, Mrs. Hosea

Troy, Forrest (Frosty)

Vesely, Marilyn

Weaver-Meyers, Pat

Wentroth, Mary Ann

Willingham, Gerry

Women's Federated Clubs

Women's Clubs of Oklahoma

Woodrum, Pat

Young, Bill

Zarrow, Henry & Anne

Edmon Low Image

Edmon Low was born January 4, 1902 in Kiowa, Indian Territory. Low held a bachelors degrees from East Central State College in Ada, Oklahoma and from the University of Illinois. He held a Master of Arts in Library Science from the University of Michigan (1938). Low was the head librarian at Oklahoma A & M College 1940-1967.

Prior to coming to Oklahoma A & M College as librarian in March of 1940, Low served as assistant librarian at East Central State college for seven years and was head librarian for two years, 1938-1940, at Bowling Green State University in Ohio. While at Bowling Green he earned the reputation of bringing order out of extreme disorder. Low was knowledgeable in library methods, understood the complexities of technical processing routines, was highly skilled in human relationships, was creative, and was not afraid to try innovative methods or to experiment with different ideas.

While at Oklahoma A & M College Low instituted changes in procedures and methods. He proposed keeping the library open during vacation periods, created the Technical Processing Division, created the position of bibliographer, fully supported the government documents division, and instituted the charge slip check–out system that was used for 47 years. He also instituted a system of time keeping where members worked 40 hour weeks and filed a time card with their respective department heads. He encouraged professional staff to participate in professional organizations and in 1946 his proposal to give professional librarians faculty rank was granted. In 1950 Low was elected President of the Southwest Library Association and in 1952 he was elected to a four-year term on the council of the American Library Association. In 1960 he was President of the Association of College Research Libraries. Low also developed very good political techniques and lobbied before the U.S. Congress for library bills.

In the late 1940s Low campaigned for a new library and worked faithfully on plans for the new building. He researched and found the best library buildings in the country and pushed for a modular building that would offer flexibility as the collection continued to grow. According to Low the library was to be an ‘invitation to study’ rather than a ‘condition of study.’ Ground was broken May 1950 and when finished it would have free-standing book shelves where students could browse.

Low instituted a courier service between the University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma A & M College and in 1967, his last year, he was instrumental in placing a new library code for Oklahoma before the state legislature. The new code would allow multi-county library systems to be formed giving the less populated areas of the state access to library services. Over the course of his career Low received many honors such as the Oklahoma Library Association’s Distinguished Service Award in 1958 as well as the association’s Special Meritorious Service Award in 1967. In 1977, ten years after his retirement, the library building he campaigned so much for was named after him. During his tenure at Oklahoma A & M College he had overseen the addition of 650,000 volumes which was an average of 24,000 volumes per year and the staff had grown from 16 to about 150.

From 1967 to 1972 Low was a professor of Library Science at the University of Michigan where he had taught the summer term for years using his earned vacation time. From 1972-1979 he was the director of the library at New College in Sarasota, Florida. After a very long and successful career in the library profession, Edmon Low passed away December 2, 1983 at the age of 80.

Return to the Oklahoma Library Legends