Adopted by the Organizing Committee July 5, 1989 and Revised February 4, 1991; April 8, 1991; March 18, 1994; October 18, 1997; and November 8, 2002
Select an Article
- Article I Name
- Article II Purpose
- Article III Membership
- Article IV Officers
- Article V Meetings
- Article VI Board of Directors
- Article VII Committees
- Article VIII Parliamentary Authority
- Article IX Amendments
- Article X Dissolution
ARTICLE I. NAME
The name of the organization shall be The Friends of the Oklahoma State University Library.
ARTICLE II. PURPOSE
- The organization shall serve as an affiliated advisory body to the Dean of Libraries.
- The organization shall seek to enhance the visibility and promote the interests of the OSU Library and to improve its physical resources in order to better serve the diverse needs of patrons.
- Activities shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
a. Stimulate interest in and focus attention on the needs of the Library;
b. Provide a forum for sharing an interest in the world of letters and learning;
c. Encourage financial support, in addition to the regular state appropriation, to enrich and strengthen the resources available;
d. Assist in securing gifts of needed books, manuscripts, special collections, or other library materials that would not otherwise be attainable through the regular state appropriation.
ARTICLE III. MEMBERSHIP
- Membership shall be open to anyone interested in the purposes of this organization upon a donation at one of the prescribed gift levels.
- Membership Gift Levels shall be designated as follows: Student Member, Contributing Member, Library Partner, Library Patron, Angie Debo Fellow, Edmon Low Society, the Library Tower Club, and Honorary Life. With the exception of the Contributing Member, the Student Member and Honorary Life membership categories, these gift levels shall correspond with the gift levels of the OSU Foundation President's Club.
- "Honorary Life" membership may be conferred by the organization upon recommendation of the Board of Directors.
- All members shall have full voting rights in the election of the Board of Directors and in all other matters presented to them by the Board of Directors for decision, except the Secretary-Treasurer and the Director of Library Development and Outreach (see Article IV, 1).
- Donations must be postmarked by December 31, of each year for membership to be renewed for the following year.
- All membership donations shall be made to the OSU Foundation for deposit in a designated Friends of the OSU Library Account.
ARTICLE IV. OFFICERS
- The elected officers of the organization shall be a President, a Vice President, and the Immediate Past President and shall be elected by the Board of Directors from among their members. The appointed officers shall be the Secretary-Treasurer and the Director of Library Development and Outreach, who will be non-voting. The Secretary-Treasurer shall be filled by a member of the OSU Library staff, appointed by the Dean of Libraries in consultation with the Board of Directors. The officers shall perform the duties set forth in these Bylaws. Elected officers shall be deemed uncompensated employees within the meaning of 51 Oklahoma Statutes, Section 152(5) while performing such duties.
- All elected officers shall be elected for one-year terms by a majority vote of the members at the annual meeting but may be re-elected for succeeding terms. The term of office shall begin at the end of the annual meeting and runs through the next annual meeting.
- The President shall preside at all meetings, appoint individuals to all standing and ad hoc committees, and perform any other duties connected with the office. The President shall chair the Executive Committee and shall serve as an ex-officio member of standing or ad hoc committees the Board may designate.
- The Vice President shall serve on the Executive Committee and shall assist the President and in his/her absence preside at meetings.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall serve on the Executive Committee and shall record attendance and minutes of all meetings and notify members of the time and place of meetings.
- The Director of Library Development and Outreach shall keep an up-to-date list of members and record dues paid, notify members of dues in arrears, and record and acknowledge all money and gifts.
- The Dean of Libraries shall serve as liaison between the organization and Oklahoma State University. His/her duties shall be to accept and coordinate donations of money and other gifts to the OSU Library and to advise the organization as to the special needs of the Library.
ARTICLE V. MEETINGS
An annual meeting of the Friends of the OSU Library shall be held at a time and place to be determined by the Board of Directors for the purpose of electing officers and at-large members of the Board of Directors, receiving reports of officers and committees, and for any other business that may arise. A special meeting may be called at other times as deemed necessary or desirable.
ARTICLE VI. BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- The officers of the organization, including the Immediate Past President, any past officer(s) elected by the membership to be permanent members with full voting privileges, up to thirty-five other members elected at large, and one student member shall constitute the Board of Directors. The student shall be a member in good standing of the organization and shall be the current recipient of the Class of 1942/Oliver S. Willham Work Scholarship. The Dean of Libraries shall serve as an ex-officio member of this group.
- The Board of Directors shall be elected by a majority vote of members attending the annual meeting except for the student member who shall have previously been selected by the Class of 1942/Oliver S. Willham Work Scholarship Selection Committee. An exception will be any past officer(s) who have been elected by the membership to serve as permanent members with full voting privileges.
- The Board of Directors shall have general supervision of the affairs of the organization between its annual business meetings, fix the hour and place of meetings, make recommendations to the organization, make recommendations to the Dean of Libraries, and shall perform such other duties as are appropriate.
- The Board of Directors shall be subject to the orders of the organization and none of its acts shall conflict with action taken by the organization, the Dean of Libraries, or the Oklahoma State University.
- The Board of Directors shall meet at least once during the year.
- The members of the Board of Directors, except for the officers, any past officer(s) who have been permanently elected to the Board, and the student members, shall be elected for a term of three years each. The student member's term shall run concurrently with the duration of the Class of 1942/Oliver S. Willham Work Scholarship. The terms shall be arranged so that one-third of the members of the Board of Directors shall need to be replaced each year.
- Ten members of the Board of Directors shall constitute a quorum.
- A vacancy in any elective office because of death, resignation, or otherwise may be filled by the Board of Directors upon recommendation of the Nominating Committee (see Article VII, 3).
ARTICLE VII. COMMITTEES
- The officers of the organization (President, Vice President, Immediate Past President, Secretary-Treasurer, and Director of Library Development and Outreach), the Dean of Libraries (ex-officio), any past officer(s) who have been permanently elected to the Board by the membership, and four members at large of the Board of Directors shall constitute the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee shall represent the Board of Directors in advising the Dean of Libraries in the regular administration of the organization, shall meet annually and as the President deems necessary, and shall make recommendations regarding the organization to the Board of Directors.
- Standing and ad hoc committees shall be appointed as needed by the President.
- At least four weeks prior to the annual meeting, a Nominating Committee shall be appointed by the President. This committee's function shall be to prepare a proposed slate of officers and Board of Directors' members for consideration by the membership at its annual meeting.
ARTICLE VIII. PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY
The rules contained in the current edition of Roberts Rules of Order, Newly Revised shall govern the organization in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with the Bylaws and any special rules of order the organization may adopt.
ARTICLE IX. AMENDMENTS
Amendments to the Bylaws may be formally proposed at any regular meeting of the organization. Prior to the formal proposal being made the amendment shall be submitted to the Dean of Libraries to determine whether such a proposed amendment presents any apparent conflict with library, university, or board of regents policy. Upon the Dean of Libraries' approval the amendment then must be submitted in writing to the membership for review at least two weeks prior to a regular organizational meeting. Approval of the amendment requires a two-thirds vote of members present at the regular organizational meeting.
ARTICLE X. DISSOLUTION
- The organization may be dissolved upon the recommendation of a majority of the Board of Directors and upon approval by a two-thirds vote of the members at a meeting of the organization held in accordance with Article IX of the Bylaws.
- In the event of the dissolution of the organization, the entire net assets remaining after the payment or satisfaction of any and all liabilities of the organization shall be distributed to an appropriate University Library Foundation account for disposition by the Dean of Libraries as the Board of Directors shall determine.
For more information on giving to the Library contact the Brandy Cox, Senior Director of Development, at bcox@OSUgiving.com or 405-385-0715.