OSU Library August 2005 Update
August 26, 2005
For Immediate Release
STILLWATER - Library Updates will be forwarded to OSU faculty each month; an archive of these updates can be found at http://www.library.okstate.edu/news/dean. If you do not wish to receive future Library Updates via email, please send a message to email@example.com with the subject line containing one word: remove
In this Update:
According to the compromise agreed upon by the Library Administration, Faculty Council, and the Provost, peer-reviewed material available only in print will be returned to the Main Library based on decisions made in cooperation with departments using the material.
As of August 22, the Library has returned all requested materials from mathematics, physics, chemistry, and departments in the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources to the Main Library. Due to the summer lighting construction in the basement, a few items are temporarily shelved on the first floor. These should be integrated back to their call number sequences in the basement soon.
Next, Dr. Anne Prestamo, Associate Dean for Collections and Technology Services, will meet with departments in College of Engineering, Architecture, and Technology to prioritize the return of requested material in their disciplines.
Please Note: As always, material in the Annex may be requested for electronic delivery, pick up at the Main Library or on-site consultation at the Annex by appointment. For more information, visit the Annex's website.
Journal Survey Results
In fall 2004, the Library sought feedback from faculty and graduate students on new Library subscriptions.
28 titles received requests from two or more individuals:
- 6 titles we already had current print subscriptions
- 5 titles we already had current print & online subscriptions
- 6 titles we have instituted new subscriptions in response to survey
- Clinical Techniques in Equine Practice
- Journal of Aircraft
- Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions
- Online AIAA Journal
- 11 titles are under consideration for 2006 subscriptions
240 unique titles were requested by a single individual:
- 46 titles we already had current online subscriptions
- 49 titles we already had current print subscriptions
- 24 titles we already had current print & online subscriptions
- 9 we have instituted new subscriptions in response to the survey
- Australian Journal of Emergency Management
- Community Ecology
- Journal of Applied Ecology
- Journal of Early Childhood Teacher Education
- The Journal of Architecture-Routledge
- Wetlands: Journal of the Society of Wetland Scientists
- Bulletin of environmental contamination and toxicology
- Reading Research Quarterly
- Reading Teacher
- 93 titles are under consideration for 2006 subscriptions
- 12 titles could not be identified
- 2 titles have ceased publication
- 5 titles were books
The Chronicle of Higher Education
The Library is pleased to announce that it now has immediate online access to the Chronicle of Higher Education, as well as the Chronicle of Philanthropy, as soon as they are published. The Chronicle of Higher Education includes a searchable backfile to 1989, as well as access to the wide range of statistical data and reports issued by the Chronicle, the Careers database listing job opportunities at higher education institutions nationally and internationally. The Chronicle of Philanthropy includes access to the extensive database of grant listings (http://philanthropy.com/grants/) and the ability to set up search agents so that when similar grant announcements are posted in the future by The Chronicle of Philanthropy, users will be alerted via email.
On campus, you can access both publications directly from their URLs:
Off-campus, you can access both through our full-text periodicals list at www.library.okstate.edu/ftdb/. OSU users can also utilize RSS feeds from the chronicle. For details visit http://chronicle.com/help/rss.htm.
For help accessing this or any other OSU Library electronic resource, contact Digital Library Services locally at (405) 744-9161, long distance at (877) 744-9161, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
While many articles are available online, there are some publications to which OSU only has print access. Now, any print article owned by the Library will be made available electronically by request. This service is extended to faculty and graduate students. Requests will be filled first come first serve for the first 20 requests per individual per day. The Library should fill requests within 48 hours of receipt. Requests can be made online at any time, but will be downloaded and processed M-F 8 a.m.- 5 p.m., and Sunday 10 a.m.- 6 p.m.
The process to request an article from a journal owned by the Library is similar to requesting items from Interlibrary Loan. Here's how:
- Log on to Illiad at https://illiad-s.library.okstate.edu/illiad/logon.html
- Select Request a Photocopy
- Complete the form as fully as possible
- Click Submit Request
- Library staff will retrieve and scan your request. The article will be placed temporarily on the Illiad server.
- You will receive an email with a link where you can download the article.
Library Plaza Update
This spring. OSU alumnus John Clerico donated $500,000 to renovate the original 1953 Library Plaza. Planners anticipate that construction on the Library Plaza will be complete in just a few more weeks.
While the project is being completed, there is limited and intermittent access to the Library South Doors. Currently, one South Door is open, but the only exit from the Plaza is on the west side via the Life Sciences East sidewalk. While we hate to discourage anyone from walking through the Library, it is recommended that anyone walking from the north side of campus to the south side use an outdoor route or walk through Life Sciences East or Engineering South.
If you do not wish to receive future Library Updates, please send a message to email@example.com with the subject line remove.
Last Updated: 22 May 2008