- Although we can provide information about the U.S. patent
and trademark search process, we cannot give legal advice.
- The USPTO recommends that inventors contact a patent
and tradmark attorney/agent for legal advice and for assistance
with the submission of a patent or trademark application.
(For a list of patent and trademark attorneys
in Oklahoma, search by state (OK) or city (Oklahoma City, Tulsa).
- Our staff can assist with a PRELIMINARY U.S. patent search by
appointment, using U.S. CLASSIFICATIONS, recommended to determine if someone else has already
obtained protection for the invention you plan to make. See General
Information Concerning Patents.
- Please call (405) 744-6546 to make an appointment. This will
ensure the availability of search assistance and computer time.
- Read How
to Search Patents, Trademarks via the USPTO website. See the tutorial How to Conduct a Preliminary U.S. Patent Search: A Step by Step Strategy.
- The Library staff will NOT perform a preliminary
patent search on your behalf.
- We are not patent attorneys and will not interpret/advise regarding
- There is no charge for utilizing the collection.
Trademark Search Services
- A search of Federally Registered and Pending Trademarks is recommended
for anyone seeking to name a service or product. This search is
helpful to determine if someone else has already obtained protection
for the name you plan to use in commerce. See Basic
Facts About Trademarks.
- You can perform the search yourself via the U.S. Patent and
Trademark Office's TESS
database. For search assistance, please contact us at (405)
- Read How
to Search Patents, Trademarks via the USPTO website.
- Search includes Federally Registered and Pending Trademarks
only, and does not include state registered or common-law marks.
- For a complete search (federal, state, and common-law marks),
please contact the Research
Wizard service at the Tulsa City County Library (918) 596-7991
or an attorney.
- For information on filing at the federal level see the Trademark Information Network.
- For state registrations, contact the Business Filing Department at the Oklahoma Secretary of State (405) 521-3912.
Hours Anywhere Library Access EZProxy Renew Online Search This Site
OSU Home Comments